Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mind Over Matter

So, for those of you that don't know, I've quit smoking. Three weeks ago. Today has been exactly 3 weeks since I've had a cigarette. I smoked for 6 years and have quit once before, when I was in the military and tried quitting again at the beginning of this year. Both times didn't work. When I was in the military, I quit smoking for about... 3 months... But the problem with that was, everyone else around me had also stopped smoking. We didn't have a choice. So, while we were all quitting none of us were exposed to the temptations of giving in and smoking, so it made it easy far all of us to give it. But as soon as I had the option to actually smoke, that's when the cravings kicked in and I lost control and gave into the urges to smoke. The second time I tried to quit smoking, I stopped for about 2 weeks. The problem with that one was I quit cold turkey. I didn't prepare myself to stop smoking or anything. I just woke up and said today I'm done smoking. Well, that didn't last too long. About two weeks late, I caved in and started smoking again. For about an extra 2 weeks though, I was telling everyone that I still haven't smoked. I didn't want to man up and tell them that I failed at quitting smoking at started smoking again. That didn't go down too well.

But yes, three weeks ago today I stopped smoking. I've been using some meds to help me stop and ofcourse the patches. After looking back and realizing that I have the strength to actually kick the habit, I started thinking. The only thing that really brings me back to try and smoke is the cravings. My head tries to convince me I need to smoke. So, all I do is ignore myself, tell me to fuck off and keeping Playing playstation or whatever.

It's all mind over matter. You can do just about anything you want, if you put you mind into it. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure we've all heard this when we were younger. "You can whatever you dream!" Blah blah blah shut the fuck up already. I'm just here to say try it once.

Before I was joined the Navy I was running a mile with an average time of about.. Eh... 13 minutes. Once I joined and got to boot camp, they pushed my limits... Well, that's an under exaggeration to what they did. They grabbed my limits by the throat and threw it off a fucking cliff. My limits were whatever they wanted it to be. After, hours, days and weeks of getting pushed and pushed and trying and failing, I started to run a mile and a half in 13 minutes. I was doing an extra half mile at the same time of a regular mile. What I was doing, was when I was tired, light headed, about to vomit and thinking my legs were going to give out, I told my head to shut the fuck and kept going. Towards the end of bootcamp, I ran the fastest I've ever run in my entire life. I was running a mile and a half at 11 minutes. That's faster then I used to run a mile. I ignored my own limits and set them to what I wanted them to be, instead of what I thought they were.

When you're at that point of giving up and calling it quits, that usually means, you're just getting started. Once you reach that point all you have to is ignore the pain and keep on pushing. Just don't give up and never give up.

I guarantee you that if you use the whole "mind over matter" trick to ANYTHING in your daily activities you will be more successful in getting to your goals. Don't believe me? Try it? I've stopped smoking using it, and I've got through the toughest times in my life doing that. I promise, any thing you are having trouble with just keep on pushing and never ever give up. Once you hit that wall and feel like giving up, push past it and keep on going. Don't stop until you literally can't move anymore. Never take breaks, never sleep, never stop. Keep moving, keep trying and convince yourself to never fail.

If you believe you can't fail, then you cannot fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment