Friday, November 19, 2010

Where Did Dann Overboard Come From?

Tonight, I decided I will talk about my nickname Dann "Overboard." Where it came from, and why it's stuck with me so almost 6 years now. The name comes from a Blink-182 song Man Overboard, which you can listen at the bottom of this blog. The song is about Blink-182's old drummer, Scott, leaving the band. You listen to the song and it sounds like there was a falling out with this ex member. They tried to be friends and work it out but his way just didn't fly with everyone. I'm going to break down the song for you, and explain how this amazing song, became me.

It starts off with "There's so much more that I wanted and there's so much more that I needed and time keeps moving on and on and on soon we'll all be gone." Simple. There's so much shit that I want in my life but I never get the chance to get. But it doesn't bother me too much because "soon we'll all be gone." I'll just take what I can get, but always want more.

"Let's take some time to talk this over. You're out of line and rarely sober. We can't depend on your excuses cause in the end it's fucking useless."

Let's face it, when you hear the name Dann Overboard, what's the first thing that pops into your head? Was it alcohol? Most likely. I drink. I am a drunk. Well... I USED to drink. I mean I still do, but not as much as I used to. I used to drink on a nightly basis and get hammered for the sake of getting hammered. When something didn't go my way, or I fucked up I always had an excuse. ALWAYS had an excuse. I made up excuses for everything. It got to a point where no one gave a fuck any more. "Cause in the end, it's fucking useless."

"You can only lean on me for so long. Bring your ship about to watch a friend drown. Stood over the ledge, begged you to come down. You can only lean on me for so long"

This is similar to a conversation I had with some one before we had a falling out. Pretty much what it means, to me, is that I would always turn to this person when I needed help. They became my crutch. My means of getting up and moving around. I would always lean on them. But, when they needed me, I'd sit there and do nothing. I'd listen but that was it. They would be suffering and I wouldn't do anything about it. But I would expect them to still be there for me.

"I remember shots, without a chaser, absent minds thoughts, now you're a stranger. Cover up the scars, put on your game face, left you in a bar to try and save face"

I'd get drunk alot and I would just ramble on about everything. Most the time I would go on about how bad my life was and all that drunk emotional shit. Ofcourse, years later, I realize how stupid I was. When I would get drunk, I'd be a different person. My views and my opinions would change compared to when I was sober. I'd become a stranger to my friends. But when I was sober, I'd hide everything. I'd put on a fake smile and pretend everything was just dandy. No one did anything about it. They'd let me do this, thinking it would help me... Or something. I don't know.

"Man on a mission, can't say I miss him around. Insider information, hand in your resignation. Loss of a good friend, best of intentions I found. Tight lipped, procrastination. Yeah later, See you around"

This is how I assumed they felt about me. I was on a mission to be destructive and slowly kill myself (alcohol, tobacco, parting, not suicide or anything). Ofcourse they wouldn't tell me this, but they would discuss it between eachother. I was a good friend, who tried my best to be a good person, but just couldn't take care of myself. They kept their mouth shut, while I kept procrastinating. Then they were gone. With promises of being friends again, down the road, they disappeared.

I never realized any of this until I sat down and listened to Man Overboard and realized "Holy shit, this song is about me."

Ofcourse, there are other reasons why I am "overboard." Because that's something I good at doing. I go overboard alot. Whether it comes to being paranoid, exaggerating, what ever. I tend to go overboard with alot of things that I do. Sometimes on purpose, like getting work done. Sometimes not, like overrating to situations.

I am Dann Overboard because I go overboard.

1 comment:

  1. I like this Dann! It gives a lot of insight into how you view yourself and your relationships with the people around you. I didn't know you 6 or 7 years ago, but I can imagine what you're talking about. When you say that friends would talk about you being destructive to yourself, I just think it would be nice to tell you that now it's the opposite! We talk about how glad we are that you are taking the steps to pull out of that hole and take care of yourself physically and mentally. It makes it easier for your friends to help you when you want to help yourself! So maybe you can still carry the nickname Dann Overboard, but make it mean something different than the song. Going overboard on work, friendship, happiness, love, really doesn't sound like a bad thing to me!
    Again, congrats on the 3 weeks being smoke free!

    ReplyDelete